#117 Breaking into Management Consulting (as an MBA)
“I think [top management consulting firms] are looking for people with a strong sense of curiosity, people who care and don’t accept things at face value, and people who can break a problem down in a structured way.“
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
What do MBA applicants need to know about MBA careers in management consulting?
Darren invites his friend Sandra to share her experience, both as an MBA student looking to break into consulting and as an MBA recruiter for McKinsey & Company.
Sandra worked in management consulting for 5 years after her MBA – don’t miss her hard-earned insights into the industry!
This is Part 1 of our MBA Career Series. Looking for more career-related podcasts? Click here.
- Sandra’s background (3:42)
- The role summer internships play in the recruiting process (6:12)
- Common types of consulting jobs for MBA grads (11:06)
- The recruiting process for management consulting (12:52)
- What McKinsey is looking for in hires? (16:00)
- What if you don’t go to a top-ranked b-school? (20:00)
- What do applicants need to know about succeeding in consulting? (21:41)
- Misconceptions about management consulting (27:16)
- Best part of job? Worst part of job? (32:24)
- Consulting opportunities for international students in the US? (38:08)
- The role of locational offices in recruiting (44:18)
- Recommended resources for breaking into management consulting (48:36)
About Our Guest
After getting her MBA from Northwestern Kellogg, Sandra worked for McKinsey & Company for 5 years. She currently lives and works in New York.
Ranked among the top public universities in the US, The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business provides an outstanding MBA experience tailored to your interests and leadership development.
Whether switching careers, enhancing a career or starting a business, an MBA from Fisher provides tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge and skills to succeed today.
Visit fisher.osu.edu to learn more about Fisher’s personalized MBA program and competitive scholarship opportunities.
- The Vault Consulting 50 – The Best Consulting Firms to Work For
- Careers at McKinsey for MBAs
- Careers at Boston Consulting Group for MBAs
- Careers at Bain & Company for MBAs
- Northwestern Kellogg MBA
- Getting an MBA Job in Consulting
One thought on “#117 Breaking into Management Consulting (as an MBA)”
Pingback: #157 Management Consulting & Student Life at Insead with Massine Bouzerar '19J - » Touch MBA