#74 How to Overcome a Low GPA
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Dozens of MBA applicants come to Touch MBA every month for free school selection help and a common concern is how to overcome a low GPA. How can you show top-ranked programs that you will perform well in an intense Master’s level program? That you belong with other MBA candidates who got A and B+ averages as undergraduates?
Applicants with low GPAs need to send 2 signals: 1) that they’re academically capable and 2) that they have a strong work ethic. Listen on for 7 concrete ways you can communicate these qualities in your application to tackle a low GPA.
- Scoring well on GMAT
- Performing well in other academic environments (Masters Degrees) or tests (CFA, CPA, etc)
- Highlighting work experience that demonstrates your hard business skills
- Securing recommendations that rank you highly for intellectual ability
- Taking pre-MBA classes (MBA Math, online courses, community college courses)
- “The Shaq Rule” – being so strong employability and ambassadorial-wise that you’ll still be a net contributor
- Using your optional essay to explain (not excuse) the context surrounding your GPA
- MBA Math – build the pre-MBA math and spreadsheet skills you need
- The Wharton’s Business Foundations Courses on Coursera
- HBX – Harvard Business School’s Online Education Initiative