“We firmly believe our program should be anchored in commercial reality.”
Looking to get a leading, career boosting 1-year MBA in the UK?
Joining the show this week is Dr. Michael Shulver, Assistant Dean of Generalist Masters Programmes at Warwick University in the UK. Michael was formerly an engineer in the Royal Air Force before getting his MBA and PhD from Warwick.
Warwick’s 1-year Full-time MBA was ranked #3 worldwide for ROI by the Financial Times with graduates experiencing an average salary rise of 84% within 3 years of graduation. The school’s curriculum places a heavy emphasis on the practice of management and behavioral sciences. Although the program is small (about 60 students in each year), it offers a wide range of shared electives with Warwick’s EMBA and Online MBA programs.
Michael is a straight shooter and offers a truly insider’s perspective on how admissions selects candidates and awards scholarships. As a faculty member, he also shares a lot of insight into Warwick’s academic offerings.
The Warwick MBA in 3 words: relevant, innovative, caring.
Listen on for the insider’s scoop…
Touch MBA’s Warwick MBA Essentials
Program Highlights (3:14)
- Warwick Business School founded in 1967, Warwick MBA program began in 1981
- 1 intake/year in Sep
- Length: 12 months
- Campus in Coventry, the centre of England, an hour away from London and only twenty minutes from Birmingham Airport
- ~60-70 participants/intake
- ~30 nationalities/intake, class is ~80% international
- PIM Member, Partnership with 60 exchange schools
- Rankings: #28 Financial Times 2013, #60 Economist 2012
- #3 on Return on Investment by Financial Times 2013
- Accredited by AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA
- Dual Degrees / Joint Programs: None
- Program Structure: 7 core classes, 5 electives, and consultancy project which includes a 15,000 word thesis
- Concentrations: Entrepreneurship, General Management, Marketing, Finance and Strategy
- Academic strengths in Finance, Operations, Innovation Management, Behaviorial Science
- Deadline for September 2014 intake: 31 July
- International candidates should apply by 31 May for visa reasons
- Candidates encouraged to apply earlier to improve chances of admissions and scholarships
- 276 applications received, 70 enrolled
- Avg GMAT: 646, looking for “a well balanced score above 650”
- Avg age: 29 (26-35), Avg work experience: 6 years, 3 years min work experience required
- Min TOEFL 260 (computer), 105 (internet), IELTS: 7.0
- Interviews done by Admissions Office (tip: interviews often involve mini-case study question, so be prepared to think on your feet and ask questions to solve problems)
- Looking for candidates who are intellectually outstanding, display strong interpersonal and communication skills, motivation, creativity, maturity, drive, and leadership qualities. You must also have proven academic ability, the ability to work effectively in a team, the desire to learn, and the potential to succeed. In Michael’s words, “Looking for students with a sense of honor, who are willing and keen to give something back to the worlds they live in”
- Full-time MBA Tuition: £31,500 BPD, roughly $47,000 USD
- Recommended budget: £40,000-45,000, roughly $63,000-71,000 USD
- £2million of scholarships available for Warwick postgraduate courses (including MBA programs)
- Scholarship awards are up to 50% of tuition and are targeted at those who are top 20% of class, bring outstanding experience and diversity of background to class, and will be successful ambassadors for Warwick
- Scholarships are Merit-based and awarded with offer (tip: ask for scholarship funding if you need it)
- No student loans are available directly through Warwick, but applicants can apply for these scholarships
- Warwick MBA – Full-time placement report [ LINK ] (Class of [ YEAR ])
- Average Salary: £54,500, ~86,000 USD
- 96% of graduates employed after 3 months of graduation
- Participants experience an average salary rise of 84% after 3 years
- Top 5 functions graduates worked in: Consulting: (26%), Strategy (21%), Finance (16%), Marketing (15%), Operations/Supply Chain (6%)
- Top 5 recruiters: Deloitte, HSBC, Shell, KPMG, Ramsey Health Care
- Warwick Business School: 137,000 alumni worldwide in over 140 countries
- Warwick offers Careers Plus Team and Careers Bootcamp to help students with career transitions
Get in Touch
- LiveChat with Warwick MBA Office between 10am-3pm GMT Monday – Friday
- Email the Warwick MBA Office, and ask to speak with student alumni, or connect with Warwick’s MBA LinkedIn Group.
- Profiles: Financial Times, Economist, Poets & Quants
- Dr. Michael Shulver’s interview with Business Because
- Email: be the first to get our interviews and application tips
- iTunes: leave us a review too – five stars? 😉
- Stitcher Radio: great for listening on Android, Apple, or other mobile devices
We’d love to hear your thoughts on the podcast. Email Darren or comment below!