“To me when you think about the Schulich MBA, and what’s unique about it, I think about the global aspect, the innovation in the program, and the diversity within the classroom.”
Did you know candidates preferring to study in Canada have tripled in the past 4 years? With schools like Schulich and open immigration policies, it’s easy to see why.
Mr. Praveen Muruganandan, Director of Admissions and Recruitment at Schulich School of Business, joined the show to share more about the Schulich MBA, located in Toronto, Canada. Praveen got his MBA from Schulich in 2007.
Interesting things I learned about the Schulich MBA:
The Schulich MBA is flexible and customizable. Students can start in January or September, and finish in 16 or 20 months. Students can choose from over 150 electives and 19 specializations. Most grads end up working in Finance, Marketing and Strategy.
The Strategy Field Study is the capstone of Schulich MBA experience; groups of 7-8 students help an organization with its strategy over 6-7 months.
Schulich also has an International MBA (IMBA) program, which requires students to work abroad and to speak 2 languages. There are 30-40 students per cohort.
Toronto is the 4th biggest city in North America and 45% of its residents are born outside Canada.
Graduates from Schulich get a 3-year postgraduate work permit. It typically takes around 2 years to get permanent residence in Canada. Attending a top Canadian b-school would be a great transition to working and living in North America.
The Schulich MBA in 3 words: global, innovative, diverse.
Darren’s take: if you’re looking for a comprehensive and top-tier global program in Toronto, the financial center of Canada, you should consider the Schulich MBA.
Touch MBA’s Schulich MBA Essentials
Program Highlights (0:30)
- The Schulich School of Business (previously known as the Faculty of Administrative Studies) was founded in 1966
- 2 intakes/year in Jan or Sep
- Length: 16, 20 or 24 months
- Campus in Toronto, the financial center of Canada
- International Satellite Centres in Beijing and Shanghai, China; Mumbai, India; Moscow, Russia; and Seoul, South Korea (and future Centres in Brazil and Mexico)
- ~ 250 participants/intake for Schulich MBA, 30-40 participants in Schulich IMBA
- ~30-40 nationalities/intake, class is ~65% international
- 19 specializations, participants can choose from over 150 electives
- Partnership with 51 exchange schools in 30 countries
- Rankings: #52 Financial Times 2013, #22 Economist 2013, #13 Bloomberg Businessweek 2012 (International MBAs)
- Ranked #1 Diversity of Recruiters by and #3 Salary Increase by Economist in 2013
- Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS
- Early Deadline: Jan 7
- Final Deadline: Feb 28 (int’l candidates), Apr 30 (US and Canadian candidates)
- Candidates should apply by early deadline to maximize chances for a scholarship
- Number of applicants per full-time place: 4
- Avg GMAT: 660 (range 610-720), Min GMAT: 550, target above 50 percentile on quant and verbal, Avg GPA: 3.3
- Avg age: 29 (range 25-34), Avg work experience: 6 (2-10), 2 years min work experience required
- Min TOEFL 250 (computer), 600 (paper), 100 (internet), IELTS: 7
- Interviews done by admissions team and occasionally faculty
- Looking for passionate, committed candidates who are willing to share their experiences inside and outside classroom
- Full-time MBA Tuition: $62,724 CAD, roughly $59,000 USD
- Recommended living costs: $7,300 CAD / 4 months, so if 16 months $29,200 CAD, roughly $27,500
- 20-30% of participants awarded scholarships
- 80-90% of students qualify for financial aid support
- Scholarships are merit and need based
- International students can apply for up to $45,000 non-cosigned with RBC Royal Bank
- Full-time placement report? No
- 90% of graduates had jobs within 3 months of graduation
- Average Salary: $92,000 CAD
- Graduates experienced 88% increase in salary after 3 years
- 21,000 business school alumni worldwide in 90 countries
- Graduates from Schulich get a 3 year postgraduate work permit in Canada
Get in Touch
- Contact the Schulich MBA admissions office
- (update: Oct 10, 2015) Praveen has since left Schulich and helps with admissions consulting at MBAInsideScoop. Get 10% off any of Praveen’s admissions consulting services by mentioning Touch MBA
- Profiles: Financial Times, Economist, Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Schulich MBA scholarship and loan opportunities
- MBA applicants preferring to study in Canada have tripled in past 4 years (Poets & Quants)
- Email: be the first to get our interviews and application tips