#85 Why I Got My MBA in Asia with Yuan Lee Chung, HKUST MBA ’15
“If you’re able to go into an MBA program with the goal of something beyond financial gains I think you’ll find it a lot more rewarding and satisfying. For me it was about personal learning, about finding out more about myself, expanding my network, and the relationships I have today, the things I’ve learned, the exposure I’ve gotten has made me feel that my expectations were exceeded… you’re not going to see the financial return the first 2-3 years, it’s a long-term thing… if you go into b-school keeping your mind open to capture experiences beyond academics and the degree you’ll find that you’ll gain much more and you’ll enjoy the experience a whole lot more.”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Yuan Lee Chung, HKUST MBA ’15, discusses why she got her MBA in Asia and the benefits and challenges of attending a top Asian business school. Yuan Lee also studied at Columbia for one-term and shares her thoughts on how Asian and US programs compare.
About Our Guest
Yuan Lee Chung is from Malaysia and got her Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from the National University of Singapore (NUS) before working in finance for Capital Group and UBS Wealth Management in Singapore. After graduating from the HKUST MBA, where she was Vice President of the MBA Association, she stayed in Hong Kong to work for Hubert Burda Media, where she is Head of Corporate Development. Learn more about Yuan Lee’s HKUST MBA experience at the Ambassadors Forum.
Topics & Questions
- Introducing Yuan Lee (0:00)
- Yuan Lee Self-Introduction (3:15)
- Why Yuan Lee chose HKUST over LBS, IMD, Booth, Insead (3:55)
- What Yuan enjoyed most about HKUST (9:17)
- How Yuan Lee’s HKUST experience compared to her exchange term in Columbia (12:30)
- The HKUST MBA alumni network (15:50)
- The reputation of MBAs in Hong Kong and in the finance industry (19:35)
- Clubs & leadership at HKUST (24:40)
- The biggest advantage of going to a Asian B-School (opposed to European or US) (32:30)
- Last advice for applicants (36:15)
- Hong Kong’s visa policy for MBA graduates (39:30)
This episode of Touch MBA is brought to you be Prodigy Finance – the leader in education loans for international postgraduate students. Visit prodigyfinance.com to learn more.