“A good application does the heavy lifting for the admissions office…You’ve got to have your building blocks – content and messaging – in place before you start using your communication tools (i.e. essays). You got to have a blueprint otherwise what you’re building is not going to turn out the way you hoped.”
Over the past decade, Tyler Cormney and MBA Prep School have achieved a 90% success rate with clients at the world’s top schools. What are the key steps to preparing an application that puts you in the top 10%? Hint: it’s not your essay(s).
Don’t miss this value-packed episode and feel free to ask Tyler your questions in the comments!
About Our Guest
Tyler Cormney is the CEO and Co-Founder of MBA Prep School. Tyler graduated from Harvard Business School with Distinction and has a Masters Degree in Professional Writing from USC. Tyler has been helping MBA applicants for 10 years and his company has a 90% success rate for top-ranked business schools.
- Why preparing to apply is the most important step in the application process (3:47)
- How to determine your “points of difference” (6:50)
- Which points of difference should you highlight? (10:20)
- Career goals and how to tell your “career story” (12:45)
- A different and better way to answer “why do you need an MBA?” (17:40)
- Developing a compelling “career purpose” (19:28)
- How to show long-term and short-term MBA goals (24:10)
- Why self-reflection is the secret weapon in MBA applications (26:40)
- Admissions trends applicants should be aware of at top 7 schools (28:18)
- With schools shortening applications, how can applicants still tell their story? (33:28)
- Cultivating mentor relationships early for your recommendations (36:34)
- Common mistakes applicants make (37:44)
- The necessity of putting together a support team (40:20)
Show Notes & Discounts for Touch MBA Listeners
- How to Apply for an MBA (ebook) – get $10 off by mentioning discount code TOUCH MBA
- MBA Prep School (admissions consulting services) – get $250 discount off any school package by selecting TOUCH MBA as referral source and mentioning the discount at the time of purchase
- 10 Steps to Getting Into a Top MBA (video)