“The Netherlands has been a country with an external outlook for many decades. We are a small country and we need to have a forward-looking, outgoing attitude to get business done. 95% of people here speak English and we have a very entrepreneurial outlook here.”
I recently spoke with Mr. Bart Scheenaard, MBA Marketing & Admissions Manager for the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University. The Rotterdam MBA is one of the few MBA programs that is triple accredited by EFMD, AMBA and AACSB. Only 1% of business schools have all 3 accreditations.
Bart emphasized the international nature of the program (40 different nationalities in a 140 student class) and the Netherlands, a progressive and business-friendly country where most business is conducted in English. Rotterdam MBA graduates also benefit from a great visa arrangement where they can stay in the Netherlands for one year to find a job.
The school takes a “counseling approach” to admissions – Rotterdam encourages candidates to get in touch with the admissions team before submitting their applications so the team can evaluate their fit with the one-year program. Rotterdam has a rolling admissions process so candidates should apply early to improve their chances of admission and winning scholarships.
The Rotterdam (RSM) MBA in 3 words: cooperative, international, connected.
Listen on for much, much more!
Touch MBA’s Rotterdam Crib Sheet
- 1 intake/year in January
- Length: 1-year
- Class size: 120-140 students,
- 30-40 nationalities / intake, class is more than 95% international
- Campus in Rotterdam, Netherlands – the world’s 3rd busiest port
- Top 1% of business schools that is triple accredited by EFMD, AMBA and AACSB
- Focus on sustainability, doing business right
- Alumni ranked CSR highest
- Many employers in Netherlands don’t require employees to speak Dutch
- Graduates are allowed to stay in Netherlands for one year post graduation
- Expats only have to pay 30% taxes (vs. 50% for Dutch people)
- Netherlands is one of the most globally connected countries in the world
- Rankings: #42 Financial Times 2016, #76 Economist 2015
- Accredited by AACSB, AAMBA, EFMD
- 4 deadlines from Apr – Nov; Rotterdam extends interview invites 1-5 days after receiving a complete application, and returns decisions within 4-6 weeks.
- Number of applicants / place: not available
- Rotterdam already knows 60-70% of applicants through its “counseling approach” to admissions; candidates should contact the admissions office for a profile evaluation
- Avg GMAT: 640, GRE accepted
- RSM also conducts an in-house business case assessment in lieu of the GMAT/GRE.
- Avg age: 29, Avg work experience: 6 years, 3 years minimum work experience requirement
- TOEFL not required
- Apply early if you’re from a competitive application pool (i.e. Indian nationality)
- Interviews are conducted by an RSM alumnus or alumna, staff member or faculty member
- Tuition for class starting in January 2017: 46,500 Euro
- 1 in 4 students receive financial aid (loan or scholarship)
- Scholarship amounts range from 2,500 – 10,000 Euros
- Scholarships are open to all nationalities and are merit-based
- Rotterdam does not include scholarships w/ offers (you apply for them after accepting offer)
- Rotterdam offers loans directly to students
- Improve your chances for scholarships by applying in earlier rounds.
- ~130 students each year are hired by 100 different employers
- ~50% find jobs in Netherlands, ~25% in Europe, ~10% North America, ~10% Asia
- Flexible visa arrangement: graduates can stay in Netherlands for one year
- Majority of business in Netherlands is done in English
- 10-15% move into management consulting (Dutch usually required)
- 30% do internship after finishing electives, 3 months before graduation
Get in Touch
- Contact Rotterdam students
- #140 RSM MBA Program & Admissions Interview with Brandon Kirby
- Get an early indication of fit from RSM’s MBA admissions team
Download and Subscribe:
- Download and subscribe from iTunes
- Or right click here for a direct download
- Android, Apple, Palm & other mobile users can listen on Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe via RSS or Email to stay up-to-date all things Touch MBA
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could click over to our iTunes page and give us a positive review. Or leave a comment below. If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: email@example.com. Let us know what you’d like to hear on the podcast!