“Our mission is to develop responsible, entrepreneurial leaders who think globally… I like people who think a little differently, who are unafraid to challenge the status quo, who are authentic, reflective and are able to verbalize why the ESMT Berlin MBA is the right fit for them.”
Rebecca Loades, Director of MBA Programs at European School of Management and Technology (ESMT Berlin), discusses what makes the ESMT Berlin MBA unique, the school’s admissions process, career opportunities and more.
ESMT was founded in 2002 by 25 leading companies – including Bayer, Daimler, and McKinsey – who wanted to develop management talent in Germany. The school is the fastest in history to be triple accredited by AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA.
- Introduction (0:00)
- Program Highlights – What Makes the ESMT Berlin MBA Unique? (2:30)
- ESMT Berlin MBA Admissions & Scholarships – How to Improve Your Chances? (22:00)
- Career Opportunities at ESMT Berlin – What to Know & How to Prepare (44:05)
ESMT Berlin Full-Time MBA Highlights (last updated March 2023)
- Length, Intake, Size: 15-months, January intake, 40-50 students/year
- Typical Class: 6 years average work experience / 92% international with 30 nationalities / GMAT: average 640
- 35+ Full-time professors from 30 countries
- January – Mid July: focused on 17 core corses
- June – Mid July: choose 1 of 3 specialization tracks (see below)
- Mid July – September: summer internship, German language program or social impact challenge
- September – December: electives and exchange
- January – March: capstone project – either a real-world consulting project or work on your entrepreneurial venture
- Specialization Tracks: Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Managerial Analytics, Strategic Leadership
- Optional: extend program with Responsible Leaders Fellowship (up to 6 months) or Vali Summer Entrepreneurship Program (April-June). All airfare, living stipends, and other related costs for the Responsible Leaders fellowship are covered by ESMT.
- Admissions: ESMT Berlin is looking for a diverse group of professionals who share their values – community, curiosity, courage and rigor – and want to move to broader business-wide leadership responsibility. ESMT is looking for excellent analytical ability, international outlook, intercultural competence, proven teamwork skills, leadership potential and willingness to learn.
- 3-10 years of professional experienced recommended
- 6 application rounds between February and November
- Visas: Graduates of ESMT Berlin automatically qualify for an 18-month work visa in Germany for which no employer support is needed.
- Placement, Class of 2022: 85% received offers w/in 3 months, €83,902 avg starting salary (€110,299 avg starting salary including bonus), graduates experienced 58% increase in salary after 3 years
- Top Destinations, Class of 2022: 72% Germany / 15% Rest of Europe / 10% Americas / 3% Asia Pacific
- Top Industries, Class of 2022: 26% technology / 20% consulting / 18% e-commerce
- Top Functions, Class of 2022: not available
- 50+ recruiting companies each year
- Scholarships: 28 scholarships available each year, generally ranging from 5-50% of tuition fee. Applicants who apply in earlier rounds, score above the 85th percentile on GMAT or GRE, and who demonstrate German language skills who also win scholarship awards.
- Rankings: Ranked #1 business school in Germany by Financial Times in 2022
- Alumni: 5,500+ ESMT Berlin alumni from 40+ countries with 10 global chapters
- Tuition: €49,000; Estimated living costs €800-1,500/month
- Accreditations: AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA
Rebecca Loades is Director of MBA Programs at ESMT Berlin. Previously, she worked for the Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC) in numerous roles, including as Director of Masters Programs and Director of Next Generation GMAT. Rebecca studied mechanical engineering as an undergraduate at University of Bradford and got her MBA from the Rotterdam School of Management.